Tuesday 23 June 2015

In this world you will have trouble.

When the great gales of life come and rock our boat and threaten to engulf us our response will usually be just like that of the disciples – fear.
It is significant that even at the height of the storm Jesus found it easy to sleep. The disciples in their fear turned to Jesus for help and He stilled the storm.
The most important spiritual lesson to be gleaned from this parable is just that. That our first port of call in times of trouble should be to approach Jesus in prayer and faith.
I am reminded of another quote from Jesus where he says “I have come that you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble but take heart, I have overcome the world” (John 16:33).
It is very important to note from both this parable and the quote from John’s gospel is that we cannot avoid trouble in this world. On the contrary, we are assured that we will have trouble.
It is how we respond that will make the difference. Jesus listened and then He acted and also rebuked them for not having enough faith that in fact Jesus does have divine power to act.
In a very important sense this is a parable about our own salvation. Who do we turn to for help?
I am again drawn back to my experience not too long ago when I thought I was near death, of consciously turning to Jesus in my hour of need. That was me in the boat being swamped and turning to Jesus for help.
From that experience has come a spiritual peace – a security that I needed that confirmed to me that when the chips are down – I am a follower of the way of Jesus. Perhaps I needed that experience to confirm to me where my heart truly was.
What it has done is make me more confident, more sure of my faith. Whatever else life throws at me I have the assurance of God that says to me “In this world you will have trouble but take heart I have overcome the world.”

Such assurance and peace -money, fame, possessions cannot buy. It is simply given but must be received to become effective.   

No comments:

Post a Comment